EM Bokashi Kit (OUT OF STOCK - Pre-order for late July shipment)
Delivery is within your municipality - you must enter your code at checkout to get your additional discount.
Delivery is within metro Melbourne. Other areas, please contact us for a quote.
Our Bokashi Bin comes with:
- bucket and lid
- a tap
- drain plate
- masher and
You can choose to add extras (grain/spray) or make your own (check out our blog for recipes).
The 19L Wyndywood Bokashi Bin is designed to sit inside your home in a suitable and convenient area such as under a sink.
It uses a fermentation process which activates microbial activity to ferment organic waste, not compost it. The end result is a fermented food waste that can be placed directly into the soil. The Wyndywood Bokashi Bin compliments the use of our Vermihut worm farms because you can put the food waste that worms don’t eat such as acidic foods (citrus, onions, tomatoes etc) into the Bokashi Bin and recycle 100% of your kitchen waste. All meat products and dairy can also be put into the Bokashi.
All the Microbes in the Bokashi are naturally occurring and have a beneficial effect on the environment. Note: Microbe mix is an optional extra. It is not included by default.
Watch a video on how to bury your bokashi.
Fermentation is an alternative sustainable method of recycling food waste compared to the dumping of food into landfill. This action reduces green house gas emissions. Fermented waste retains all of its energy and most of the nutritional benefits and are more readily available for nutrient intake by plants. The microbes from fermented waste over time enhances soil quality, therefore producing greater plant yields and healthier, stronger plants.
The Wyndywood Bokashi Bin should only have a sweet/sour smell, not a rotting smell when fermenting. At the end of every day, add your food waste and sprinkle a layer of the Wyndywood Bokashi Grain (>1/3 cup) over the untreated food waste and let the Bin go to work.
Do this process until the Bin is full and then it's time to add the fermented waste to your garden and start again.
All instructions and frequently asked questions sheets are in the Bokashi Bin and will make your time doing something for the environment a pleasure, not a chore.
Bokashi Grain Refills are available in 4 to 5 litre resealable bags.
- Add kitchen waste or animal waste to top of Wyndywood Bokashi Bin
- Sprinkle bokashi grain or spray bokashi liquid over the surface for each few centimeters of food waste added (as if you are layering a lasagne or dusting a cake)
- Compress food waste with masher to eradicate any air pockets. Topping with water can help too.
- After a short time, Moisture will be released into the drainage tray and accessible through the drainage tap (optional - I leave the liquid in for faster/more effective fermentation)
- Once Bokashi bin is full, dig a hole in your vegie patch or garden bed.
- Add the waste contents into the hole covering it with soil.
- Add the liquid to a watering can at 100:1 for a great liquid plant and soil booster.
- After 2 weeks, your waste is ready to be planted on